Citrus and olive oil go hand-in-hand in this bright, delightful cake. Vibrant lime zest and a sprinkle of toasted coconut add instant flavor and texture to each bite.
We all know how much I love a good layer cake. Hey, I even wrote a whole book about them! But sometimes even I can admit that they can be a bit fussy. For the days when you still want velvety cake but without the hassle, make a bundt cake!
Okay, maybe “hassle” is not the right word choice (especially for someone trying to sell a book about layer cakes – there are several hassle-free recipes including those with just fresh season fruit and sweetened whipped cream), but I think you all know what I mean. For those of you who don’t make layer cakes with the same frequency as I do, baking a cake, preparing a filling, and making a frosting (plus assembly) might be a bit much when you are just looking to satisfy a Tuesday afternoon cake craving.
A bundt or pound cake however, now that’s something suitable for afternoon snacking and even breakfast. Who doesn’t love breakfast cake?
This Citrus Cake is my go-to for a more carefree, everyday sweet. The kind of treat that you bake on Sunday or a casual afternoon and it stays moist all week. The kind of treat that sits under a cake-keeper on the counter, just waiting for drive-by slices, afternoon tea pairings, or whenever a sweet-tooth needs satisfying.
Not only does a cake like this eliminate the need to filling and frosting (with the exception of this glaze that takes literally 60-seconds to prepare), the mixing process is also fuss-free! No mixer needed. No creaming-of-the-butter necessary.
Instead of the fussy creaming process necessary to make a butter cake, this cake comes together rather quickly. Using Mazola’s Rightblend Oil, the cake mixes together super easy, while staying moist and flavourful. The blend of canola and extra virgin olive oil adds an extra depth of flavour the to the cake. I prefer this blend because the subtle olive oil taste is light and fresh, but does not take away from the bright citrus notes in the cake. Regular canola or vegetable oil would work too!
I know I’ve been boasting about “simple” and “fuss-free” over here, but I promise you that this glaze still falls into those categories. Instead of a heavy buttercream, this cream cheese glaze mixes together in seconds and is the perfect pair for the Citrus Cake. Top is all off with toasted coconut, fresh citrus zest, or whatever you’d like!
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole milk
3/4 cup Mazola Right Blend Oil or Canola Oil
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
3 large eggs
1/2 cup fresh citrus juice
1 tablespoon citrus zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease and flour a 10-cup bundt pan and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, stir together the milk, oil, and melted butter. Whisk in the eggs.
- Stir in the citrus juice and zest until combined.
- In two to three additions, add in the dry ingredients to the wet. Stir to combine.
- Pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan and bake for 50 minutes, or until a wooden skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool on a wire rack until the pan is cool enough to handle (about 20 minutes).
- Place a cutting board or large platter on top of the pan and carefully invert the cake right-side up.
- Continue to cool before serving.
Cream Cheese Glaze
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 to 2 tablespoons coconut milk or whole milk
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the cream cheese and butter with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Gradually stir in the confectioner’s sugar until incorporated.
- Add in the vanilla and milk. Stir until smooth. Glaze should be rather thick but still fluid. Add more milk as needed.
Top with toasted coconut, if desired!
Disclaimer: This post was sponsored by ACH Foods. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Style Sweet CA possible!